Digital Marketing Can Help Grow Your Business
6 Ways Digital Marketing Can Help Grow Your Business
December 21, 2018

How Search Engine Optimization Works?!

How Search Engine Optimization Works

How Search Engine Optimization Works?!

You hear it all the time. Sometimes, it’s thrown around casually by people who don’t fully grasp the concept.

We’re here to debunk the myths surrounding SEO and provide you with an authentic understanding of this revolutionary digital marketing technique.

What is SEO?
The meaning is in the name. Search Engine Optimization is the process of optimizing, i.e. increasing, a page’s online visibility in a web search engine’s results. This is achieved through organic (unpaid) search results

But of course, there’s more to it than that.

SERP Positioning
The goal of SEO is to render your website in a high-ranking position on Google, or another search engine.

What’s considered a high ranking? The search engine’s first page. According to a study conducted by Advanced Web Rankings, the average web user won’t go past the first five listings on a search engine results page (SERP). In fact, research shows that websites on the first SERP receive close to 95% of web traffic, leaving just 5% for the dozens of remaining search results pages.

Why does your website’s position matter? Because users have likely already found what they’re looking for within the first few results (Google’s algorithms make sure of that)—so why bother going beyond the first page?

The Keyword Factor
When people hear SEO, they think keywords. While the placement of keywords certainly does play a pivotal role in a successfully optimized page, it’s not as straightforward as it would seem; you do not choose any keywords, and you do not place them anywhere you’d like.

It begins with your goals. Ask yourself:

  • Do you want to rank locally, meaning be the go-to in your region?
  • Do you want to extend your services nationally, or even globally?
  • What service/product do you want to propel forward? For instance, if you’re a writer who also edits manuscripts, perhaps you also want to rank for “manuscript editor”.

Once you’ve outlined your goals, an SEO specialist will perform the keyword research, taking into account your competitors’ ranking in your region and what words users are typing in their search the most frequently.

Quality Content Matters
Good. Now, you’ve approved the keyword list. The next step is to integrate them throughout your pages.

Do you remember the early days of the internet, when your search results page brought up a list of irrelevant websites? This was because the words you typed in had been copied all over the page about a hundred times, without a second thought. Back then, this was considered SEO.

This would never fly today. Real SEO—good SEO—goes hand in hand with content marketing. Nowadays, search engines are so intelligent that they not only detect whether the content is relevant to your search, but they actually detect if it’s well written. This means the more disorganized your thoughts (no headers, no paragraph breaks) and the more grammar and spelling errors your page contains, the higher the chances search engines like Google will lower your ranking.

Our dedicated team of search engine optimization marketers has been enabling the growth of small to medium-sized business since 2002. If you’d like to chat about your business’ growth potential, contact us now.

Call us now!